Traditional Persian Love Cake Recipe
- 200g unsalted butter
- 150g caster sugar
- 4 medium eggs
- 12 cardamom pods
- 100g plain flour, sifted
- 275g ground almonds
- Zest and juice of 1 unwaxed lemon
- 1 tbsp rose water
- 1 tsp baking powder
- A generous pinch of fine sea salt
For the drizzle topping
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- Juice of 1/2 (half) lemon
- 1/2 (half) tbsp rose water
For the icing
- 150g icing sugar
- Juice of 3/4 (three quarters) lemon
- 2 tsp cold water
- 2 tsp sliced pistachios
- 2 tsp dried rose petals (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 160C/Gas 3. Grease a 22cm cake tin (one with a removable base) and line it with baking parchment.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together. When the mixture is thoroughly combined, beat in the eggs.
- Place the cardamom pods in a mortar and work with a pestle to get the seeds out of the pods. Discard the pods and grind the seeds to a fine powder. Add them to the cake mixture, along with the flour, ground almonds, lemon zest and juice, rose water, baking powder and salt. Mix well.
- Pour the mixture into the cake tin and bake in the oven for 45 minutes. To check if it is ready, stick a fork in the middle of the cake – it should come out dry.
- Towards the end of the cooking time, make your drizzle topping. Place the caster sugar, lemon juice and rose water in a small pan over a low heat and heat until the sugar melts.
- Remove the cake from the oven and place it on a wire rack. Poke holes all over the top of the warm cake and drizzle over the syrup.
- When the cake is completely cool, make the icing by combining the icing sugar, lemon juice and a few teaspoons of water until you have a smooth, thick icing. Spoon the icing over the cake and finish with a sprinkling of sliced pistachios and, if you like, rose petals.
Source: The Telegraph
Keywords: Traditional Persian Love Cake Recipe, How to make Persian Love Cake, How to make Traditional Persian Love Cake, how to prepare love cake, love cake